Getting overwhelmed by the political misogyny-fest offhandedly reported on the news channels these days? Some Houston artists want to counter that with a one-day exhibition/party/fundraiser called She’s Real Gone: Women’s Art Showcase.
This Friday, December 2, from 7-11pm, the East End Studio Gallery will hold a showcase featuring new works by twelve Houston women artists. Hosted by Honeybones and Insomnia Video Game Culture, most of the art seems to be influenced by comics, anime, and video games. These are all industries which traditionally under-represent (and, in some cases are downright hostile to) women participants. For more information on that nonsense, go here, here, here, here, or the many more links.
There will also be women DJs all evening and an all-women vendor area outside at the neighboring Bohemeo’s. There is a $5 cover, but proceeds go to Girls Rock Camp Houston, an amazing organization that empowers girls at an even earlier age to rock the house!
also by Paula Newton
- Meow Wolf is Growing Bigger and May Come to Austin! - April 24th, 2017
- Sand Art: Sculpture of Sculptures - April 21st, 2017
- Sexy Farrah Fawcett Made Art, Too! - April 20th, 2017
- Death of the Cool: Barkley Hendricks, 1945-2017 - April 19th, 2017
- Performance Art Works Both Ways - April 18th, 2017