Not to be outdone by Austin, with its show of light art along Waller Creek (which closed just a few days ago), Houston’s Discovery Green is hosting its own light art installations, which officially open tomorrow evening. Project-managed by the Weingarten Art Group, Firmament, by “acclaimed Burning Man artist” Christopher Schardt. Firmament is a 52-feet wide, 42-feet high canopy of 21,600 LED lights. Passersby are invited to gather under the celestial, psychedelic structure with its continually changing musical element. Discovery Green has sought out input from Houston musicians and the community to determine musical selections; check its website for the full line up.
Also opening tomorrow will be Enchanted Promenade, an installation of ten colorful, giant peony bouquets by TILT, a French light and art design studio. Enchanted Promenade will be up through February 19 and Firmament will close January 8.
also by Paula Newton
- Meow Wolf is Growing Bigger and May Come to Austin! - April 24th, 2017
- Sand Art: Sculpture of Sculptures - April 21st, 2017
- Sexy Farrah Fawcett Made Art, Too! - April 20th, 2017
- Death of the Cool: Barkley Hendricks, 1945-2017 - April 19th, 2017
- Performance Art Works Both Ways - April 18th, 2017