Something set off Ryland Alexander Gonzalez, a 17 year-old high school student, to prompt him to start stabbing a Styrofoam dinosaur with an X-ACTO knife. When his art teacher asked him to stop, he ignored her. But when she grabbed the handle of the knife, he pulled it back and stabbed her three times in the hand, reports the Cedar Park Patch.
When the police arrived to the Leandar school (located in a suburb just north of Austin), the teacher was in the nurse’s office and Gonzalez was gone for the day. The teacher went to the hospital and the student showed up to school the next day, telling an entirely different story about just “playing around.” Officials determined that the wounds were inconsistent with such play and charged Gonzalez with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon against a public servant, which is a first-degree felony. He faces up to 99 years in prison if convicted.
Don’t mess with art teachers!
also by Paula Newton
- West Texas Landmarks Vandalized! - February 24th, 2017
- Rice U’s Moody Center is Almost Reality! - February 23rd, 2017
- WH Plans to Eliminate NEA and NEH as Examples of “Wastes of Taxpayer Money” - February 22nd, 2017
- S.A. Artist Wins 10K Craft Council Award - February 21st, 2017
- Happy (Not My) President’s Day! - February 20th, 2017