The State Fair of Texas, which began on September 30, is on its last weekend. That means that this is your final chance to be greeted by the new Big Tex, see livestock, play games, eat a ton of weird food, and top it all off with a visit to the 1,000 pound butter sculpture.
Ken Robison, who is known for sculptures and signage art in and around Dallas, was commissioned by the Fair to sculpt a replica of last year’s Grand Champion Steer RFD out of butter, contributing to this year’s theme ” Celebrating Texas Agriculture.” Robison, who has never before worked with butter, told CBS DFW that the challenge not only made him a better sculptor but has made him a much “butter man.”
also by Paula Newton
- Meow Wolf is Growing Bigger and May Come to Austin! - April 24th, 2017
- Sand Art: Sculpture of Sculptures - April 21st, 2017
- Sexy Farrah Fawcett Made Art, Too! - April 20th, 2017
- Death of the Cool: Barkley Hendricks, 1945-2017 - April 19th, 2017
- Performance Art Works Both Ways - April 18th, 2017