Just as the Dallas Museum of Art opens Divine Felines: Cats of Ancient Egypt (members-only preview dates are October 6-8), Istanbul honored one of its most famed felines with a statue replicating its pose that became an Internet sensation. The statue of Tombili (pictured above) was inaugurated on October 4 on World Animal Day. The sculpture was made possible by a Change.org petition that drew 17,278 supporters.
Last night, Hyperallergic posted an article called “A Tour of Meownuments to the World’s Most Pawesome Cats.” Only an article about cat statues can stand up to that title. Check out the histories of the honored cats and photos of their monuments here.
also by Paula Newton
- Another Artist Town Hall Meeting in Houston: Time to Get Political - March 22nd, 2017
- Trisha Brown (1936-2017) - March 21st, 2017
- Artist Appropriates Trump Slogan for “Painfully Powerful Statement” - March 17th, 2017
- It’s Just Macaroni and Cheese: Arts Funding to be Burned! - March 16th, 2017
- Spooky Springtime History in the Panhandle - March 15th, 2017