There has been a push recently from the city of Houston to insert art into unlikely places. Traffic intersections both in and out of the loop have recieved customized, commissioned murals on traffic light control boxes via Mini Murals Houston. The city also commissioned local artists to create artwork for wayfinding signs in downtown Houston. Even the city’s recycling trucks have gotten an artistic touch.
Now, Houston is looking for artists to create custom digital wrap designs for solar powered parking meters. Selected artists will receive a fee of up to $10,000 for 10 meters! Via the call for artists:
One or more artists will be commissioned for the ten meters (found on Allen Parkway, between Downtown and Taft Street, alongside Buffalo Bayou Park). Original artworks will be printed onto adhesive vinyl wraps and applied to the chassis’ of each parking meter. Printing and installation of the wraps will be accomplished through a company contracted by HAA.
Submissions are due by September 23, 2016.
also by Glasstire
- Top Five: June 22, 2017 - June 22nd, 2017
- Quiz: Thomas Struth or NYT? - June 21st, 2017
- Solange Knowles Is Coming to Marfa - June 21st, 2017
- Fashion & Art: Coach Presents "City Wide" Exhibition by Dallas Artist Arthur Peña - June 20th, 2017
- Houston's Punk History, in Posters - June 20th, 2017