Artists: you can use your skills without the pesky burden of creativity. Today, August 2, is National Coloring Book Day! Sometimes it’s a relief to color inside the lines.
Anyone who follows the bestseller list or keeps up with the latest trends knows that adult coloring books have been a craze for a while now. There are adult coloring books for Catholics, for Buddhists, and for gun enthusiasts. There is the “Have a Nice Life Asshole: Breakup Stress Reliever Adult Coloring Book,” a coloring book on the life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the NSFW “Sweary” coloring book, the very NSFW coloring book depicting sexual positions, and an upcoming coloring book based on “Games of Thrones.”
In an article about the phenomena, CNN.com reports that, “Just like meditation, coloring also allows us to switch off our brains from other thoughts and focus only on the moment, helping to alleviate free-floating anxiety.” Self.com created its own fitness-themed coloring book, adding, “Studies have shown that coloring can help reduce anxiety, and the calming, therapeutic-like hobby creates an outlet for creativity, without requiring you to actually be artistic.” Voilà!
To celebrate the day, there are a number of events taking place throughout the state. To find one near you, go here.
also by Paula Newton
- Neo-Nazi Posters Found Plastered Around UH Campus - September 19th, 2017
- Arts Orgs Impacted by Harvey Must Attend Meeting to Apply for FEMA - September 18th, 2017
- French Artist Installs Huge Mural on the Mexican Border - September 15th, 2017
- Solange Calls Out the Museum World - September 14th, 2017
- YES! The Yes Men are Coming to Houston - September 13th, 2017