East Texas native Robert Rauschenberg (whose cast glass tire sculptures inspired the name of this site) spent forty years at his home and studio on Captiva Island, Florida, which was less than 200 miles south of the Orlando nightclub where a gunman killed 50 people and wounded 53 more early Sunday morning.
In 1994, Rauschenberg created a series of 21 offset lithographs, each of which “celebrates a different humanitarian theme for the twenty-first century.” We have selected five images from the Tribute 21 series to honor yesterday’s victims: Happiness, Music, Dance, Human Rights, and Peace.
(All images via Artsy.net)
also by Paula Newton
- UH College of the Arts Will Change Its Name After $20M Gift - January 19th, 2017
- Amy Poehler Buys Film Rights to Houston HS Teacher’s Book - January 18th, 2017
- Texas Medal of Arts Announces 2017 Honorees - January 17th, 2017
- Dessert Before Dinner: Houston Couple Pledges Entire Show to MFAH - January 16th, 2017
- Mixed Responses to Call for Artist Trump Protests - January 13th, 2017