East Texas native Robert Rauschenberg (whose cast glass tire sculptures inspired the name of this site) spent forty years at his home and studio on Captiva Island, Florida, which was less than 200 miles south of the Orlando nightclub where a gunman killed 50 people and wounded 53 more early Sunday morning.
In 1994, Rauschenberg created a series of 21 offset lithographs, each of which “celebrates a different humanitarian theme for the twenty-first century.” We have selected five images from the Tribute 21 series to honor yesterday’s victims: Happiness, Music, Dance, Human Rights, and Peace.
(All images via Artsy.net)
also by Paula Newton
- Houston Nonprofits Join the Coalition Against Hate - August 22nd, 2017
- The Solar Eclipse in Art - August 21st, 2017
- Houston Joins the Anti-Confederate Monument Movement - August 18th, 2017
- Artists: It’s Time to Run for Office! - August 17th, 2017
- Film Nerds: a Happy Hour Just for You! - August 16th, 2017