East Texas native Robert Rauschenberg (whose cast glass tire sculptures inspired the name of this site) spent forty years at his home and studio on Captiva Island, Florida, which was less than 200 miles south of the Orlando nightclub where a gunman killed 50 people and wounded 53 more early Sunday morning.
In 1994, Rauschenberg created a series of 21 offset lithographs, each of which “celebrates a different humanitarian theme for the twenty-first century.” We have selected five images from the Tribute 21 series to honor yesterday’s victims: Happiness, Music, Dance, Human Rights, and Peace.
(All images via Artsy.net)
also by Paula Newton
- What They Don’t Teach You in Art School - April 26th, 2017
- University Art Students: Sell Your Work On New Online Platform - April 25th, 2017
- Meow Wolf is Growing Bigger and May Come to Austin! - April 24th, 2017
- Sand Art: Sculpture of Sculptures - April 21st, 2017
- Sexy Farrah Fawcett Made Art, Too! - April 20th, 2017