The Getty Research Institute in Los Angeles has amassed more than 1000 artists’ oral histories as video and audio recordings for its archive, and up until last week you could only access them at the Institute itself. But now the GRI has released dozens of these recordings—oral histories and interviews—to stream online, and it’ll continue to roll them out.
It’s a LA-centric list right now (via the Getty: “…the selected videos feature artists, architects, and other individuals significant to Los Angeles’s vibrant postwar art scene”), but a good one. Larry Bell, Kenneth Anger, Ed Ruscha, Vija Celmins, Robert Irwin, Ed Moses… . There are legendary curators, dealers, and arts writers on hand as well. It’s a great resource for scholars, of course, but plenty of artists and art lovers will be interested.
also by Glasstire
- Top Five: May 25, 2017 - May 25th, 2017
- Menil's 2017 Walter Hopps Award Goes to Reem Fadda - May 24th, 2017
- This and That: Menil Drawing Institute / Pompeii - May 23rd, 2017
- Two Large-Scale Ai Weiwei Sculptures Come to Austin this Summer - May 22nd, 2017
- Here's Nasher's Summer Series Line-Up - May 21st, 2017