Houstonians: If you’ve been noticing a lot of folks in smart outfits and curator glasses, that’s because the 15th annual meeting of the Association of Art Museum Curators (AAMC) is taking place. It began Saturday, May 7th, and wraps up today with 4:30 closing remarks. Over 300 curators are in town for the event, visiting every local art venue, making presentations, and holding symposia.
Gary Tinterow, director of the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, tells Houston Public Media, “The primary function of the conference is networking.” Helen Evans, the president of AAMC and Metropolitan Museum of Art Curator, says it’s “How to build a diverse curatorial body.” According to the conference catalogue, the theme is “Moving Forward.” All of those sound like good ideas.
also by Paula Newton
- Sedrick Huckaby Receives SMU's Moss/Chumley Award - January 20th, 2017
- UH College of the Arts Will Change Its Name After $20M Gift - January 19th, 2017
- Amy Poehler Buys Film Rights to Houston HS Teacher’s Book - January 18th, 2017
- Texas Medal of Arts Announces 2017 Honorees - January 17th, 2017
- Dessert Before Dinner: Houston Couple Pledges Entire Show to MFAH - January 16th, 2017