Houstonians: If you’ve been noticing a lot of folks in smart outfits and curator glasses, that’s because the 15th annual meeting of the Association of Art Museum Curators (AAMC) is taking place. It began Saturday, May 7th, and wraps up today with 4:30 closing remarks. Over 300 curators are in town for the event, visiting every local art venue, making presentations, and holding symposia.
Gary Tinterow, director of the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, tells Houston Public Media, “The primary function of the conference is networking.” Helen Evans, the president of AAMC and Metropolitan Museum of Art Curator, says it’s “How to build a diverse curatorial body.” According to the conference catalogue, the theme is “Moving Forward.” All of those sound like good ideas.
also by Paula Newton
- Social Practice Artist Corrina Mehiel Found Stabbed to Death in DC - March 24th, 2017
- Trump’s “Border Wall” Shines Spotlight on EP Women’s Filmmaker Collective - March 23rd, 2017
- Another Artist Town Hall Meeting in Houston: Time to Get Political - March 22nd, 2017
- Trisha Brown (1936-2017) - March 21st, 2017
- Artist Appropriates Trump Slogan for “Painfully Powerful Statement” - March 17th, 2017