If the art world needed to be reminded that it’s filled with tons of ill-distributed money, Italian artist Marizio Cattelan has come to the rescue.The artist has created an 18-karat gold toilet for New York’s Guggenheim museum’s bathroom.
As for the new gold throne, Forbes,com reports—which the Guggenheim paid for with private funds for an undisclosed amount—it is clearly a sly art historical wink to Marcel Duchamp’s “Fountain,” the urinal entered in 1917 art exhibition and signed “R. Mutt.”
“There’s the risk that people will think of it as a joke, maybe, but I don’t see it as a joke,” the Italian told The New York Times.
also by Paula Newton
- Support Artists for the Holidays - November 17th, 2017
- Lost Leonardo da Vinci Painting Breaks All Art Auction Records. By Far. - November 16th, 2017
- S.A. Artists Receive $25K Joan Mitchell Grants - November 15th, 2017
- Art Put to Work: San Antonio Artist Makes a Solar Mural - November 14th, 2017
- Texas Artist Harry Geffert, 1934-2017 - November 13th, 2017