If the art world needed to be reminded that it’s filled with tons of ill-distributed money, Italian artist Marizio Cattelan has come to the rescue.The artist has created an 18-karat gold toilet for New York’s Guggenheim museum’s bathroom.
As for the new gold throne, Forbes,com reports—which the Guggenheim paid for with private funds for an undisclosed amount—it is clearly a sly art historical wink to Marcel Duchamp’s “Fountain,” the urinal entered in 1917 art exhibition and signed “R. Mutt.”
“There’s the risk that people will think of it as a joke, maybe, but I don’t see it as a joke,” the Italian told The New York Times.
also by Paula Newton
- Even Less Menil: Drawing Institute Opening Delayed - July 27th, 2017
- Texas Public Art Projects Win Again! - July 26th, 2017
- My Chimp Could Paint That! - July 25th, 2017
- Sugar Land Teen Wins Big Time Film Award - July 21st, 2017
- House for Sale Goes Viral: Art Project? - July 20th, 2017