If the art world needed to be reminded that it’s filled with tons of ill-distributed money, Italian artist Marizio Cattelan has come to the rescue.The artist has created an 18-karat gold toilet for New York’s Guggenheim museum’s bathroom.
As for the new gold throne, Forbes,com reports—which the Guggenheim paid for with private funds for an undisclosed amount—it is clearly a sly art historical wink to Marcel Duchamp’s “Fountain,” the urinal entered in 1917 art exhibition and signed “R. Mutt.”
“There’s the risk that people will think of it as a joke, maybe, but I don’t see it as a joke,” the Italian told The New York Times.
also by Paula Newton
- Dallas Artist is Now a TV Star - May 26th, 2017
- N.O.’s Prospect 4 Announces Artists, Including Texans - May 25th, 2017
- Trump’s Proposed Budget to Kill National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities - May 24th, 2017
- Austin Art: People Have the Power - May 23rd, 2017
- Performance Artist Solange Does the Guggenheim - May 22nd, 2017