If the art world needed to be reminded that it’s filled with tons of ill-distributed money, Italian artist Marizio Cattelan has come to the rescue.The artist has created an 18-karat gold toilet for New York’s Guggenheim museum’s bathroom.
As for the new gold throne, Forbes,com reports—which the Guggenheim paid for with private funds for an undisclosed amount—it is clearly a sly art historical wink to Marcel Duchamp’s “Fountain,” the urinal entered in 1917 art exhibition and signed “R. Mutt.”
“There’s the risk that people will think of it as a joke, maybe, but I don’t see it as a joke,” the Italian told The New York Times.
also by Paula Newton
- Oregon May Have Outdone Texas’ CowParade - September 22nd, 2017
- MFAH: New Position, New Curator - September 21st, 2017
- Bastrop Art Center Near Completion - September 20th, 2017
- Neo-Nazi Posters Found Plastered Around UH Campus - September 19th, 2017
- Arts Orgs Impacted by Harvey Must Attend Meeting to Apply for FEMA - September 18th, 2017