If the art world needed to be reminded that it’s filled with tons of ill-distributed money, Italian artist Marizio Cattelan has come to the rescue.The artist has created an 18-karat gold toilet for New York’s Guggenheim museum’s bathroom.
As for the new gold throne, Forbes,com reports—which the Guggenheim paid for with private funds for an undisclosed amount—it is clearly a sly art historical wink to Marcel Duchamp’s “Fountain,” the urinal entered in 1917 art exhibition and signed “R. Mutt.”
“There’s the risk that people will think of it as a joke, maybe, but I don’t see it as a joke,” the Italian told The New York Times.
also by Paula Newton
- This Week: Houston! Next Week: Marfa! - September 30th, 2016
- Houston’s Smither Park Officially (Re)Opens - September 29th, 2016
- Two Texans Make ArtPrize Shortlist! - September 27th, 2016
- Idea Fund Round 9: Deadline, Info, and Jurors - September 26th, 2016
- Artists and Collectors to Show off their Weird Houston Homes - September 23rd, 2016