Rainey Knudson and this week’s guest star Emily Sloan on conceptual art burnout, art inside a mini-fridge, and sex with shoulder pads.
A celebration of the beginning of Contemporary Art Month in San Antonio. There will be multiple exhibitions throughout the Blue Star Complex.
2. The Kenmore: The Slow Game by Sebastien Boncy
The Kenmore at Art League Houston
March 4 – April 9
Opening March 4, 6-9PM with an artist talk at 6:15PM
An exhibition of small-scale photographs by Sebastien Boncy. The works in the exhibition take the form of a game, “where the audience is asked to Restore the Rules of the Universe by interacting with a set of photographs.” This exhibition is curated by Emily Sloan and installed in The Kenmore, a refrigerator-turned exhibition space.
3. Stephanie Kantor: Mock Pavilion
Sala Diaz (San Antonio)
March 5 – 31
Opening March 5, 6-10PM
A site-specific installation by Stephanie Kantor, an artist fellow at Black Cube, a Denver-based nomadic contemporary art museum. The show features hand-painted tiles, tapestries, and wallpapers, merging luxury home living with museum displays and cultural pavilions.
4. Jeff Ferrell: American Dirt
The Reading Room (Dallas)
March 5 – April 2
Opening March 5, 6-8PM
An exhibition of photographs found by Jeff Ferrell, author of The Empire of Scrounge, while dumpster diving. The project is organized by Gavin Morrison and Fraser Stables of Atopia Projects.
5. Screaming Queens: The Riot at Compton’s Cafeteria Screening
Rice Media Center (Houston)
March 9, 6:30-8PM
A screening of Screaming Queens, “Susan Stryker and Victor Silverman’s 2005 documentary about the little-known 1966 Compton’s Cafeteria Riot, in which trans women and drag queens fought back against police harassment and violence and sexuality and gender based oppression.”
also by Glasstire
- Houston Music Venue Announces Community Arts Initiative - February 20th, 2017
- San Antonio DACA Art Student Detained by Immigration Officials - February 19th, 2017
- February 18: Artists Talks in Houston & 20+ Openings in Dallas - February 18th, 2017
- Michael Peranteau to Step Down from Art League Houston - February 17th, 2017
- A $2 Million Gift for Upcoming Museum in Dallas - February 16th, 2017