Rainey Knudson and this week’s guest star Emily Sloan on conceptual art burnout, art inside a mini-fridge, and sex with shoulder pads.
A celebration of the beginning of Contemporary Art Month in San Antonio. There will be multiple exhibitions throughout the Blue Star Complex.
2. The Kenmore: The Slow Game by Sebastien Boncy
The Kenmore at Art League Houston
March 4 – April 9
Opening March 4, 6-9PM with an artist talk at 6:15PM
An exhibition of small-scale photographs by Sebastien Boncy. The works in the exhibition take the form of a game, “where the audience is asked to Restore the Rules of the Universe by interacting with a set of photographs.” This exhibition is curated by Emily Sloan and installed in The Kenmore, a refrigerator-turned exhibition space.
3. Stephanie Kantor: Mock Pavilion
Sala Diaz (San Antonio)
March 5 – 31
Opening March 5, 6-10PM
A site-specific installation by Stephanie Kantor, an artist fellow at Black Cube, a Denver-based nomadic contemporary art museum. The show features hand-painted tiles, tapestries, and wallpapers, merging luxury home living with museum displays and cultural pavilions.
4. Jeff Ferrell: American Dirt
The Reading Room (Dallas)
March 5 – April 2
Opening March 5, 6-8PM
An exhibition of photographs found by Jeff Ferrell, author of The Empire of Scrounge, while dumpster diving. The project is organized by Gavin Morrison and Fraser Stables of Atopia Projects.
5. Screaming Queens: The Riot at Compton’s Cafeteria Screening
Rice Media Center (Houston)
March 9, 6:30-8PM
A screening of Screaming Queens, “Susan Stryker and Victor Silverman’s 2005 documentary about the little-known 1966 Compton’s Cafeteria Riot, in which trans women and drag queens fought back against police harassment and violence and sexuality and gender based oppression.”
also by Glasstire
- Section of Berlin Wall at Rice University Defaced with Pro-Trump Graffiti - January 15th, 2017
- Houston Performance Art Festival Announces Lineup — And It's Good! - January 14th, 2017
- Dallas Contemporary Will Organize the Ukrainian Pavilion for the Venice Biennale - January 12th, 2017
- Top Five: January 12, 2017 - January 12th, 2017
- Marcel Dzama and the Love of all things Golden - January 11th, 2017