In spite of strong art departments and a number of new cross-disciplinary initiatives over the past few years, arts-related departments at the University of Houston (UH) have remained within the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences. Starting in September 2016, they will form a new UH College of the Arts, reports the Houston Press (read the full story here).
The Moores School of Music, School of Art, School of Theatre and Dance, Blaffer Art Museum, Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts, Center for Arts Leadership and the Graduate Program for Arts Management will be combined into one college.
Dr. Andrew Davis, planning dean for the new college and director of the Moores School of Music at UH, task forces and feasibility committees have been working through the idea for more than two and a half years. “This is essential in growing programs that will meet the needs of tomorrow’s creative minds,” he says. “We considered some other approaches, but we decided that this was probably the strongest way to guarantee or ensure the most success over time.”
also by Paula Newton
- Austin’s Annual Art Bazaar Returns - November 24th, 2017
- Happy Thanksgiving! - November 23rd, 2017
- Austin’s Graffiti Park to Relocate - November 22nd, 2017
- Retooled S.A. Foundation Looking to Give $ to Local Artists - November 21st, 2017
- U.S. Tax Reform Does Not Look Good for the Arts - November 20th, 2017