In spite of strong art departments and a number of new cross-disciplinary initiatives over the past few years, arts-related departments at the University of Houston (UH) have remained within the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences. Starting in September 2016, they will form a new UH College of the Arts, reports the Houston Press (read the full story here).
The Moores School of Music, School of Art, School of Theatre and Dance, Blaffer Art Museum, Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts, Center for Arts Leadership and the Graduate Program for Arts Management will be combined into one college.
Dr. Andrew Davis, planning dean for the new college and director of the Moores School of Music at UH, task forces and feasibility committees have been working through the idea for more than two and a half years. “This is essential in growing programs that will meet the needs of tomorrow’s creative minds,” he says. “We considered some other approaches, but we decided that this was probably the strongest way to guarantee or ensure the most success over time.”
also by Paula Newton
- Artists: It’s Time to Run for Office! - August 17th, 2017
- Film Nerds: a Happy Hour Just for You! - August 16th, 2017
- Find the Art Historical References in “Alien: Covenant” - August 15th, 2017
- UPDATE: Doggy Art a Great Success! - August 14th, 2017
- Getting Sweaty at the Museum - August 11th, 2017