Today, Art League Houston will host the second of four meetings of Art Work: A Reading and Discussion Series, a reading group that was announced the weekend of Charge 2016, the ALH’s January “convening” about artists and economic issues. The Art Work discussions are designed to “explore themes of the artist’s labor and value within the larger economic landscape.” Exhibitions and programs about art’s economic impact have been permeating Houston more and more recently—last year the Art League became W.A.G.E. certified, and artist labor is also the theme of Project Row Houses’ current round of exhibitions.
If you want to get in on the conversation, the next iterations of Art Work: A Reading and Discussion Series include:
Art and Labor, February 7, 2016 2:00-4:00pm
The MFA and the Professionalization of Art, February 28, 2016 2:00-4:00pm
Alternative Models and Artist Projects, March 13, 2016 2:00-4:00pm
Art Work is hosted by Cindy Peña and Rachel Vogel. Readings can be downloaded here.
also by Glasstire
- FotoFest Announces 2018 Biennial Theme & More - January 16th, 2017
- Section of Berlin Wall at Rice University Defaced with Pro-Trump Graffiti - January 15th, 2017
- Houston Performance Art Festival Announces Lineup — And It's Good! - January 14th, 2017
- Dallas Contemporary Will Organize the Ukrainian Pavilion for the Venice Biennale - January 12th, 2017
- Top Five: January 12, 2017 - January 12th, 2017