Today, Art League Houston will host the second of four meetings of Art Work: A Reading and Discussion Series, a reading group that was announced the weekend of Charge 2016, the ALH’s January “convening” about artists and economic issues. The Art Work discussions are designed to “explore themes of the artist’s labor and value within the larger economic landscape.” Exhibitions and programs about art’s economic impact have been permeating Houston more and more recently—last year the Art League became W.A.G.E. certified, and artist labor is also the theme of Project Row Houses’ current round of exhibitions.
If you want to get in on the conversation, the next iterations of Art Work: A Reading and Discussion Series include:
Art and Labor, February 7, 2016 2:00-4:00pm
The MFA and the Professionalization of Art, February 28, 2016 2:00-4:00pm
Alternative Models and Artist Projects, March 13, 2016 2:00-4:00pm
Art Work is hosted by Cindy Peña and Rachel Vogel. Readings can be downloaded here.
also by Glasstire
- Summertime Living: John Waters' Camp for Grown-Ups - April 27th, 2017
- Top Five: April 27, 2017 - April 27th, 2017
- Send Your Questions to Catherine Opie and Eileen Myles! - April 25th, 2017
- Houston Artists: Artadia Wants to Give You Money - April 24th, 2017
- City of Austin Announces First Artist-in-Residence - April 23rd, 2017