Main Street Square in downtown Houston is going to have a LOT of art this spring. A series of ambitious, semi-temporary art installations will start popping up between the 900 and 1100 blocks of Main Street. Called “Art Blocks,” it is the first project by the Downtown District Public Art Committee, in collaboration with the Weingarten Art Group.
In late February, Jessica Stockholder will begin installing Color Jam Houston. In March, Patrick Renner will install Trumpet Flower. The interactive collective YesYesNo will install mas que la cara (more than the face). Jamal Cyrus will inaugurate the Main Street Marquee series with Lightnin’ Field. For a full (and probably growing) list of projects and artists, go here.
And Renner needs some help with his giant installation, so he and the art collective Flying Carpet will be hosting a painting party on January 30, noon-4pm, at Market Square Park, 301 Milam. All are welcome!
also by Paula Newton
- Artists: It’s Time to Run for Office! - August 17th, 2017
- Film Nerds: a Happy Hour Just for You! - August 16th, 2017
- Find the Art Historical References in “Alien: Covenant” - August 15th, 2017
- UPDATE: Doggy Art a Great Success! - August 14th, 2017
- Getting Sweaty at the Museum - August 11th, 2017