Mark Mothersbaugh’s retrospective at the Contemporary Austin opens February 13, and on that very evening, Mothersbaugh himself will host a multi-media night at the Alamo Drafthouse on South Lamar. The evening is based on The Something Weird Mixtape, which is a distributor (and phenomenon) launched 25 years ago by the late Mike Vraney to make available all kinds of out-of-print s/exploitation, genre, and b-films. It’s still going, and its catalog is a mind-bending treasure.
Vraney was a friend of Mothersbaugh, who loves genre film and has used a lot of found and existing footage in his work, and this Alamo evening promises “Nudie noir! Classroom dementia!” and “LSD gore-blasts!”
This will be a “night of cinematic de-evolution” and on top of that, Mothersbaugh will play some of his unheard recordings. A discussion with Mothersbaugh is part of the event.
For more info, go here.
also by Glasstire
- RIP Hunting Art Prize - September 27th, 2016
- Pierre Huyghe Wins the Second Annual $100,000 Nasher Prize - September 26th, 2016
- Naked Donald Trump Statue for Sale - September 24th, 2016
- Rienzi Gets a New Director - September 24th, 2016
- Rice Engineer and MFAH Artist Are 2016 MacArthur Geniuses - September 24th, 2016