The University of Houston’s Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts has just announced the lineup for their third annual CounterCurrent festival, happening April 12-17. There will be multiple projects on view during these dates, many of which will utilize “unexpected sites” throughout the city.
This year’s festival will feature eleven large-scale works, including performances, installations, and events by Jason Moran, Rimini Protokoll, Big Dance Theater, and many others. Local favorites Hillerbrand+Magsamen have also been commissioned to create a custom bouncy house that will travel to different locations during the festival!
CounterCurrent is funded through the Mitchell Center and has had a short, lively history. Through partnerships with Houston organizations such as Project Row Houses, the Alley Theatre, and DiverseWorks (see our review of 2014 CounterCurrent program Moved by the Motion here), the festival has been able to introduce thoughtful, interesting work into the Houston community.
(Feature image: Jason Moran in partnership with Project Row Houses, MacGregor Park)
also by Glasstire
- New Art Space Opens in Dallas This Weekend - September 29th, 2016
- The Top Five Things to See in Houston - September 29th, 2016
- Top Five: September 29, 2016 - September 29th, 2016
- RIP Hunting Art Prize - September 27th, 2016
- Pierre Huyghe Wins the Second Annual $100,000 Nasher Prize - September 26th, 2016