The University of Houston’s Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts has just announced the lineup for their third annual CounterCurrent festival, happening April 12-17. There will be multiple projects on view during these dates, many of which will utilize “unexpected sites” throughout the city.
This year’s festival will feature eleven large-scale works, including performances, installations, and events by Jason Moran, Rimini Protokoll, Big Dance Theater, and many others. Local favorites Hillerbrand+Magsamen have also been commissioned to create a custom bouncy house that will travel to different locations during the festival!
CounterCurrent is funded through the Mitchell Center and has had a short, lively history. Through partnerships with Houston organizations such as Project Row Houses, the Alley Theatre, and DiverseWorks (see our review of 2014 CounterCurrent program Moved by the Motion here), the festival has been able to introduce thoughtful, interesting work into the Houston community.
(Feature image: Jason Moran in partnership with Project Row Houses, MacGregor Park)
also by Glasstire
- $370K! Houston Announces its 2017 Artist Grant Recipients - March 24th, 2017
- Affordable Housing for Artists in Dallas Arts District Gets a YES - March 23rd, 2017
- Top Five: March 23, 2017 - March 23rd, 2017
- Here are your next Emojis! (T-Rex and Breastfeeding included) - March 22nd, 2017
- Something to Watch: Weekly Sculpture Poems from Elaine Bradford & Sara Cress - March 22nd, 2017