The University of Houston’s Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts has just announced the lineup for their third annual CounterCurrent festival, happening April 12-17. There will be multiple projects on view during these dates, many of which will utilize “unexpected sites” throughout the city.
This year’s festival will feature eleven large-scale works, including performances, installations, and events by Jason Moran, Rimini Protokoll, Big Dance Theater, and many others. Local favorites Hillerbrand+Magsamen have also been commissioned to create a custom bouncy house that will travel to different locations during the festival!
CounterCurrent is funded through the Mitchell Center and has had a short, lively history. Through partnerships with Houston organizations such as Project Row Houses, the Alley Theatre, and DiverseWorks (see our review of 2014 CounterCurrent program Moved by the Motion here), the festival has been able to introduce thoughtful, interesting work into the Houston community.
(Feature image: Jason Moran in partnership with Project Row Houses, MacGregor Park)
also by Glasstire
- Art Dirt 5: Celebrities Doing Performance Art + Artists and Gentrification - May 28th, 2017
- No More Free Parking at the MFAH - May 28th, 2017
- This and That: Sol Lewitt at Rice Gallery / a Wall at UH - May 27th, 2017
- Chad Dawkins Hired as Director of Exhibitions at Southwest School of Art - May 27th, 2017
- 300 Years of American Prints Opens This Sunday at the DMA - May 26th, 2017