Houston’s 14 Pews will host a screening of the award-winning documentary The New Black (2012) tomorrow evening, January 14. The film explores differing ideas of gay marriage within the African American community.
Presented by the Iota Chapter of Delta Phi Upsilon Fraternity, “The New Black & the Houston Equal Rights Ordinance” begins with a reception at 6pm, the film screening at 7pm, and is followed by a panel discussion on the Houston Equal Rights Ordinance within the context of intersectionality and the Black community. Featured panelists include Monica Roberts, Christina Gorczynski, Fran Watson, Shekira C. Dennis and Januari Leo.
When the local arthouse cinema hosts a community outside the usual art crowd and puts it in the context of local political issues, it should be congratulated and supported. Below is the trailer for the film:
also by Paula Newton
- Houston’s Smither Park Officially (Re)Opens - September 29th, 2016
- Two Texans Make ArtPrize Shortlist! - September 27th, 2016
- Idea Fund Round 9: Deadline, Info, and Jurors - September 26th, 2016
- Artists and Collectors to Show off their Weird Houston Homes - September 23rd, 2016
- It May Be Too Late, but this Group is Set to Save East Austin Art - September 22nd, 2016