With each New Year, we bring hopes and resolutions of positive transformation. For those who missed the opening of Sites of Transformation at Houston’s She Works Flexible, featuring the work of Joey Fauerso and Ranu Mukherjee, there’s still time to see if the show speaks to your idea of change. As the press release states, both artists “explore sites within both our personal and cultural histories that disrupt the dominant narrative, cleaving open space for transformation.”
In conjunction with the exhibition, the gallery is presenting its FLEXFILM series every Wednesday evening in January. This Wednesday evening, the film will be Adaptation (2002), directed by Spike Jonze—definitely an interesting film about transformation (although “positive change” might be in question). Below is the rest of the transformational film lineup:
January 13: Safe (1995), directed by Todd Haynes.
January 20: Ghare Baire (The Home and The World) (1984), directed by Satyajit Ray.
January 27: Fantastic Planet (1973), directed by Rene La Loux.
All films are free and begin at 7:30pm, except Safe, which begins at 9pm.
also by Paula Newton
- This Week: Houston! Next Week: Marfa! - September 30th, 2016
- Houston’s Smither Park Officially (Re)Opens - September 29th, 2016
- Two Texans Make ArtPrize Shortlist! - September 27th, 2016
- Idea Fund Round 9: Deadline, Info, and Jurors - September 26th, 2016
- Artists and Collectors to Show off their Weird Houston Homes - September 23rd, 2016