semigloss. Magazine Issue #6 Sound will be released this evening at the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston (CAMH). A year after the associated sound exhibition, Sympathy for the Devil, opened at Houston’s Hello Project gallery, the actual issue is finally out. It focuses on sound art and is in the form of a limited vinyl pressing.
As challenging and time-consuming as this issue has been to produce, we are confident that the result is at once compelling, gorgeous, and indicative of this publication’s gravitation towards what sound art represents within the canon of contemporary art practice.
Artists featured are Morehshin Allahyari, Baumgartner Nino, Jeff Gibbons, Sally Glass, Kenneth Goldsmith, Peter Lucas, Shelby David Meier, Jim Nolan, Micah Why, Carolyn Sortor, and Sharon Turner.
The launch party takes place from 6-8pm, followed by a screening of the documentary This Thing We Do, ethnomusicologist Jason Woods’ (Flash Gordon Parks) chronicle of the history of Houston’s DJ culture and its influence over the music industry.
Go make some noise at the CAMH tonight! Or just listen closely.
also by Paula Newton
- Neo-Nazi Posters Found Plastered Around UH Campus - September 19th, 2017
- Arts Orgs Impacted by Harvey Must Attend Meeting to Apply for FEMA - September 18th, 2017
- French Artist Installs Huge Mural on the Mexican Border - September 15th, 2017
- Solange Calls Out the Museum World - September 14th, 2017
- YES! The Yes Men are Coming to Houston - September 13th, 2017