semigloss. Magazine Issue #6 Sound will be released this evening at the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston (CAMH). A year after the associated sound exhibition, Sympathy for the Devil, opened at Houston’s Hello Project gallery, the actual issue is finally out. It focuses on sound art and is in the form of a limited vinyl pressing.
As challenging and time-consuming as this issue has been to produce, we are confident that the result is at once compelling, gorgeous, and indicative of this publication’s gravitation towards what sound art represents within the canon of contemporary art practice.
Artists featured are Morehshin Allahyari, Baumgartner Nino, Jeff Gibbons, Sally Glass, Kenneth Goldsmith, Peter Lucas, Shelby David Meier, Jim Nolan, Micah Why, Carolyn Sortor, and Sharon Turner.
The launch party takes place from 6-8pm, followed by a screening of the documentary This Thing We Do, ethnomusicologist Jason Woods’ (Flash Gordon Parks) chronicle of the history of Houston’s DJ culture and its influence over the music industry.
Go make some noise at the CAMH tonight! Or just listen closely.
also by Paula Newton
- Finally! News for Cats - March 27th, 2017
- Social Practice Artist Corrina Mehiel Found Stabbed to Death in DC - March 24th, 2017
- Trump’s “Border Wall” Shines Spotlight on EP Women’s Filmmaker Collective - March 23rd, 2017
- Another Artist Town Hall Meeting in Houston: Time to Get Political - March 22nd, 2017
- Trisha Brown (1936-2017) - March 21st, 2017