Even as our work is used to beautify a city, supplement an industry, provide content for an institution, or convey an idea that shifts our world – the voices of Artists as primary producers, idea creators, and cultural instigators are often excluded from the table.
Being Artists, however:
We’ve built our own table.
You are invited.
-from ALH web page on Charge 2016
Art League Houston (ALH) is at it again. It has organized, along with artist Carrie Schneider, “Charge 2016,” after the success of “charge: practicum,” which took place at the end of 2014. This version is a three-day (January 8-10) series of presenters, panels, and brainstorming to “1. platform artist-led alternative models of sustainability, 2. advocate for equitable compensation for artists, and 3. consider artists’ work in the larger economy.”
Again, they have put together a great schedule of sessions and presenters and, again, they are charging a $10 registration fee that goes towards a charge grant. All participants will be invited to submit proposals after the event and the grantee will be selected via online voting open to all Charge 2016 participants (winner takes all).
also by Paula Newton
- Amy Poehler Buys Film Rights to Houston HS Teacher’s Book - January 18th, 2017
- Texas Medal of Arts Announces 2017 Honorees - January 17th, 2017
- Dessert Before Dinner: Houston Couple Pledges Entire Show to MFAH - January 16th, 2017
- Mixed Responses to Call for Artist Trump Protests - January 13th, 2017
- Party! Come Congratulate the Idea Fund Grantees - January 12th, 2017