Houston artist Guus Kemp, best known for his abstract paintings with inch-thick impasto, passed away last week.
Kemp moved to Houston in 2000 and has been married to gallerist Zoya Tommy since 2013. He recently had a solo show at the gallery, Guus Kemp: Paint, Toys and Bubble Gum, which opened in October.
As reported by the Houston Chronicle: There will be a funeral service for Kemp this coming Thursday at St. Anne Catholic Church, followed by a celebration of his life at Zoya Tommy’s gallery. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made memory of Egidius Kemp to MD Anderson Cancer Center (gifts.mdanderson.org) with notifications sent to Zoya Tommy Kemp.
also by Glasstire
- Top Five: May 25, 2017 - May 25th, 2017
- Menil's 2017 Walter Hopps Award Goes to Reem Fadda - May 24th, 2017
- This and That: Menil Drawing Institute / Pompeii - May 23rd, 2017
- Two Large-Scale Ai Weiwei Sculptures Come to Austin this Summer - May 22nd, 2017
- Here's Nasher's Summer Series Line-Up - May 21st, 2017