The Houston Center for Photography (HCP) recently opened what seems to be a holiday show, Somewhere in the Balance (up through January 10th), for folks who have a hard time with the holidays. Featuring four photographers, the exhibition focuses on anxiety, fear, stress, mental illness, and the vulnerability of everyday family life.
If that all sounds like too much to handle, HCP has put together a panel discussion to let us know that everything is going to be alright. This Thursday at 6pm, “The Value of Art to Healing and Social Connectedness” will feature experts from Houston’s Menninger Clinic (which ranks among America’s Best Hospitals in psychiatry in U.S. News & World Report’s annual survey): Jon Allen, Ph.D., senior psychologist, Kula Moore, art therapist, and Brad Kennedy, director of rehabilitation services,
The panel will also include the collaborative artistic team Hillerbrand+Magsamen and HCP’s Outreach Coordinator Jamie Robertson, and will be moderated by HCP’s Director of Education Juliana Forero, Ph.D.
also by Paula Newton
- Neo-Nazi Posters Found Plastered Around UH Campus - September 19th, 2017
- Arts Orgs Impacted by Harvey Must Attend Meeting to Apply for FEMA - September 18th, 2017
- French Artist Installs Huge Mural on the Mexican Border - September 15th, 2017
- Solange Calls Out the Museum World - September 14th, 2017
- YES! The Yes Men are Coming to Houston - September 13th, 2017