The Houston Center for Photography (HCP) recently opened what seems to be a holiday show, Somewhere in the Balance (up through January 10th), for folks who have a hard time with the holidays. Featuring four photographers, the exhibition focuses on anxiety, fear, stress, mental illness, and the vulnerability of everyday family life.
If that all sounds like too much to handle, HCP has put together a panel discussion to let us know that everything is going to be alright. This Thursday at 6pm, “The Value of Art to Healing and Social Connectedness” will feature experts from Houston’s Menninger Clinic (which ranks among America’s Best Hospitals in psychiatry in U.S. News & World Report’s annual survey): Jon Allen, Ph.D., senior psychologist, Kula Moore, art therapist, and Brad Kennedy, director of rehabilitation services,
The panel will also include the collaborative artistic team Hillerbrand+Magsamen and HCP’s Outreach Coordinator Jamie Robertson, and will be moderated by HCP’s Director of Education Juliana Forero, Ph.D.
also by Paula Newton
- Another Artist Town Hall Meeting in Houston: Time to Get Political - March 22nd, 2017
- Trisha Brown (1936-2017) - March 21st, 2017
- Artist Appropriates Trump Slogan for “Painfully Powerful Statement” - March 17th, 2017
- It’s Just Macaroni and Cheese: Arts Funding to be Burned! - March 16th, 2017
- Spooky Springtime History in the Panhandle - March 15th, 2017