When it drops 10 or 20 degrees below the sweaty humiliation known as summer in Texas, we realize the holiday season is sneaking up on us. For those getting anxious about gift giving, there are a number of options for art lovers this week.
If you missed the East Austin Studio Tour last weekend, no problem. There’s more to come this weekend. (But check out the intoxicated Community Breakfast you missed out on.) The more politically correct shoppers can head to the Blanton Museum of Art on Thursday 11am-8pm) for the Fair Trade Trunk Show: ““Handmade goods will be offered, including jewelry, clothing and seasonal decorations, created by women whose lives are empowered by the Fair Trade Federation. Vendors include Liz Alig, On a Mission with Haiti, Matr Boomie and more.”
Houstonians have been saving up their spare change all year for the Winter Holiday Art Market (WHAM). Tons of artists and artisans gather at the Winter Street Studios to offer “a variety of unique handmade gifts of painting, sculpture, photography, jewelry, textiles, clothing, accessories and more.” In what is becoming a tradition, the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston’s Teen Council will host the hippest room at WHAM, displaying their work alongside the professionals.
also by Paula Newton
- Sedrick Huckaby Receives SMU's Moss/Chumley Award - January 20th, 2017
- UH College of the Arts Will Change Its Name After $20M Gift - January 19th, 2017
- Amy Poehler Buys Film Rights to Houston HS Teacher’s Book - January 18th, 2017
- Texas Medal of Arts Announces 2017 Honorees - January 17th, 2017
- Dessert Before Dinner: Houston Couple Pledges Entire Show to MFAH - January 16th, 2017