The Rockport Film Festival begins tonight with a red carpet party and an outdoor screening of the documentary Raiders! The Story of the Greatest Fan Film Ever Made. (If you haven’t seen Raiders Of The Lost Ark: The Adaptation, read Peter Lucas’ essay, in which he refers to the kid-made remake as “one of the most joyous cinematic experiences of my life.”) Throughout the weekend, there will be screenings of feature films, short films, and receptions. For the full schedule, go here.
This marks the 9th annual iteration of the festival and, again, was organized by former Glasstire contributor John Aäsp, even though he left his position at the Rockport Center for the Arts a few months ago to become gallery director and adjunct professor at the Rochester Institute of Technology.
Here is the preview reel for this year’s festival:
also by Paula Newton
- Social Practice Artist Corrina Mehiel Found Stabbed to Death in DC - March 24th, 2017
- Trump’s “Border Wall” Shines Spotlight on EP Women’s Filmmaker Collective - March 23rd, 2017
- Another Artist Town Hall Meeting in Houston: Time to Get Political - March 22nd, 2017
- Trisha Brown (1936-2017) - March 21st, 2017
- Artist Appropriates Trump Slogan for “Painfully Powerful Statement” - March 17th, 2017