This weekend, both San Antonio and El Paso will host their annual chalkfest street fairs.
San Antonio’s Artpace Chalk It Up will transform downtown Houston Street into a gallery showcasing 19 invited artists work on the sidewalk. (For a list of the artists, go here.) There will also be a freestyle section for those who want to try their hand at chalk art. Live music, performances, and food trucks make it a party on Saturday, 10am-4pm.
El Paso’s Chalk the Block (CBT) started out with a similar format but has expanded into a three-day event (October 9-11). They still have the chalk art, but over 200 local, national and international artists from all disciplines participate throughout the weekend. CBT’s chalk art competition is divided into three categories: student artists, emerging artists, and showcase artists.
In case anyone missed the reference in the headline, here’s some Ernest Tubb:
also by Paula Newton
- Dallas Artist is Now a TV Star - May 26th, 2017
- N.O.’s Prospect 4 Announces Artists, Including Texans - May 25th, 2017
- Trump’s Proposed Budget to Kill National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities - May 24th, 2017
- Austin Art: People Have the Power - May 23rd, 2017
- Performance Artist Solange Does the Guggenheim - May 22nd, 2017