This weekend, both San Antonio and El Paso will host their annual chalkfest street fairs.
San Antonio’s Artpace Chalk It Up will transform downtown Houston Street into a gallery showcasing 19 invited artists work on the sidewalk. (For a list of the artists, go here.) There will also be a freestyle section for those who want to try their hand at chalk art. Live music, performances, and food trucks make it a party on Saturday, 10am-4pm.
El Paso’s Chalk the Block (CBT) started out with a similar format but has expanded into a three-day event (October 9-11). They still have the chalk art, but over 200 local, national and international artists from all disciplines participate throughout the weekend. CBT’s chalk art competition is divided into three categories: student artists, emerging artists, and showcase artists.
In case anyone missed the reference in the headline, here’s some Ernest Tubb:
also by Paula Newton
- Sugar Land Teen Wins Big Time Film Award - July 21st, 2017
- House for Sale Goes Viral: Art Project? - July 20th, 2017
- First Texas Latino Comic Con is Coming to Dallas - July 19th, 2017
- Grafitti Now Attracts the Genteel Crowd - July 18th, 2017
- Funeral Home Gets into the Installation Art Biz - July 17th, 2017