This weekend, both San Antonio and El Paso will host their annual chalkfest street fairs.
San Antonio’s Artpace Chalk It Up will transform downtown Houston Street into a gallery showcasing 19 invited artists work on the sidewalk. (For a list of the artists, go here.) There will also be a freestyle section for those who want to try their hand at chalk art. Live music, performances, and food trucks make it a party on Saturday, 10am-4pm.
El Paso’s Chalk the Block (CBT) started out with a similar format but has expanded into a three-day event (October 9-11). They still have the chalk art, but over 200 local, national and international artists from all disciplines participate throughout the weekend. CBT’s chalk art competition is divided into three categories: student artists, emerging artists, and showcase artists.
In case anyone missed the reference in the headline, here’s some Ernest Tubb:
also by Paula Newton
- Dessert Before Dinner: Houston Couple Pledges Entire Show to MFAH - January 16th, 2017
- Mixed Responses to Call for Artist Trump Protests - January 13th, 2017
- Party! Come Congratulate the Idea Fund Grantees - January 12th, 2017
- Phillip Johnson and "Kitty Porn" - January 10th, 2017
- Houston Curator Receives Warhol Foundation Grant - January 9th, 2017