One of Cy Twombly’s “blackboard” paintings is set to go up for auction this fall and is expected to fetch upwards of $60 million. The work, bought 25 years ago by collector Audrey Irmas, is being sold to help fund a new events center for Los Angeles’ Wilshire Boulevard Temple in Koreatown.
Twombly’s current auction record is for a 1970 Untitled blackboard painting sold by Christies, which went for a mere $69.6 million. Of course, if you live in Texas, you can always visit the Menil’s Cy Twombly gallery and see these works for free.
also by Glasstire
- Trump Plans to (quickly) Kill the National Endowment for the Arts (and of course most other cultural programs) - January 19th, 2017
- Top Five: January 19, 2017 - January 19th, 2017
- A Whopper of an Artwork for Your Inauguration Day - January 18th, 2017
- FotoFest Announces 2018 Biennial Theme & More - January 16th, 2017
- Section of Berlin Wall at Rice University Defaced with Pro-Trump Graffiti - January 15th, 2017