One of Cy Twombly’s “blackboard” paintings is set to go up for auction this fall and is expected to fetch upwards of $60 million. The work, bought 25 years ago by collector Audrey Irmas, is being sold to help fund a new events center for Los Angeles’ Wilshire Boulevard Temple in Koreatown.
Twombly’s current auction record is for a 1970 Untitled blackboard painting sold by Christies, which went for a mere $69.6 million. Of course, if you live in Texas, you can always visit the Menil’s Cy Twombly gallery and see these works for free.
also by Glasstire
- Microsoft Paint Lives to Fight Another Day - July 27th, 2017
- Houston Announces $3.5 Million in Arts and Culture Grants - July 26th, 2017
- Awesome website: Typeset in the Future - July 25th, 2017
- Guerrilla Girls Coming to Talk at the DMA in August - July 25th, 2017
- Get a Free Ticket to Make Art at Burning Man! - July 24th, 2017