One of Cy Twombly’s “blackboard” paintings is set to go up for auction this fall and is expected to fetch upwards of $60 million. The work, bought 25 years ago by collector Audrey Irmas, is being sold to help fund a new events center for Los Angeles’ Wilshire Boulevard Temple in Koreatown.
Twombly’s current auction record is for a 1970 Untitled blackboard painting sold by Christies, which went for a mere $69.6 million. Of course, if you live in Texas, you can always visit the Menil’s Cy Twombly gallery and see these works for free.
also by Glasstire
- Donald Trump's Renior Painting is a Fake - October 19th, 2017
- Top Five: October 19, 2017 - October 19th, 2017
- Houston Cinema Arts Festival Returns Next Month with Houston-Centric Programming - October 17th, 2017
- This and That: Oldenburg / Davenport - October 17th, 2017
- Sculpture Month Houston Returns to Houston's Grain Silos - October 16th, 2017