One of Cy Twombly’s “blackboard” paintings is set to go up for auction this fall and is expected to fetch upwards of $60 million. The work, bought 25 years ago by collector Audrey Irmas, is being sold to help fund a new events center for Los Angeles’ Wilshire Boulevard Temple in Koreatown.
Twombly’s current auction record is for a 1970 Untitled blackboard painting sold by Christies, which went for a mere $69.6 million. Of course, if you live in Texas, you can always visit the Menil’s Cy Twombly gallery and see these works for free.
also by Glasstire
- Two Large-Scale Ai Weiwei Sculptures Come to Austin this Summer - May 22nd, 2017
- Here's Nasher's Summer Series Line-Up - May 21st, 2017
- Catch the SpeedBump Art Tour Today in Dallas - May 20th, 2017
- Houston Center for Contemporary Craft Announces 2017-2018 Residents - May 18th, 2017
- Top Five: May 18, 2017 - May 18th, 2017