One of Cy Twombly’s “blackboard” paintings is set to go up for auction this fall and is expected to fetch upwards of $60 million. The work, bought 25 years ago by collector Audrey Irmas, is being sold to help fund a new events center for Los Angeles’ Wilshire Boulevard Temple in Koreatown.
Twombly’s current auction record is for a 1970 Untitled blackboard painting sold by Christies, which went for a mere $69.6 million. Of course, if you live in Texas, you can always visit the Menil’s Cy Twombly gallery and see these works for free.
also by Glasstire
- #betterthansculpture is the Best Thing You'll See This Week - March 30th, 2017
- Top Five: March 30, 2017 - March 30th, 2017
- Houston’s New Arts + Cultural Plan Needs Artists' Input - March 29th, 2017
- Dallas Contemporary's Playboy Bunny is Outta Here - March 28th, 2017
- Who owns the better gimp mask? Nasher or DMA? - March 27th, 2017