This Sunday is the 18th annual Austin Museum Day! More than forty museums will be free all day from 10am to 5pm with special tours and activities.
All the big museums are participating, but regular museum-goers might want to take the opportunity to visit some of the offbeat cultural institutions. There’s the Museum of the Texas Department of Public Safety (a police helicopter, drug dogs, and junior trooper badges for kids), the Texas Medical Association History of Medicine Gallery (only open this weekend), the Austin Rock and Roll Car Museum (hot rods and cool motorcycles), and the South Austin Popular Culture Center (Austin counter-culture ephemera).
also by Paula Newton
- Post-Harvey Update: Rockport’s Birds and Rockport's Art - October 22nd, 2017
- Too Many Performance Art Choices in Austin - October 20th, 2017
- UT’s Ransom Center Has a New Art Curator - October 19th, 2017
- Dancers do Degas - October 18th, 2017
- The Obamas Choose Their Official Portraitists - October 17th, 2017