This Sunday is the 18th annual Austin Museum Day! More than forty museums will be free all day from 10am to 5pm with special tours and activities.
All the big museums are participating, but regular museum-goers might want to take the opportunity to visit some of the offbeat cultural institutions. There’s the Museum of the Texas Department of Public Safety (a police helicopter, drug dogs, and junior trooper badges for kids), the Texas Medical Association History of Medicine Gallery (only open this weekend), the Austin Rock and Roll Car Museum (hot rods and cool motorcycles), and the South Austin Popular Culture Center (Austin counter-culture ephemera).
also by Paula Newton
- Study Reveals That Museums Show More Contemporary Art Than Ever - March 30th, 2017
- Houston Artists: Learn How to Get Money, or Put Your 2¢ In - March 29th, 2017
- Outsider Artsmarter Working From the Inside - March 28th, 2017
- Finally! News for Cats - March 27th, 2017
- Social Practice Artist Corrina Mehiel Found Stabbed to Death in DC - March 24th, 2017