This week’s column is a podcast of me urging you, Glasstire readers, to watch Bruce Conner’s 1966 experimental short film Breakaway.
I talk about why you should catch it now, what makes it such a watershed work, and how it changed the way we see the moving image.
Below is the podcast (appx. 8 min.), and below that is a link to Connor’s short. Hope you enjoy both.
Video: here (or cut and paste the following):
also by Christina Rees
- Goodbye to 2016, or, Tripping Over Nostalgia - December 18th, 2016
- Last Week: Los Angeles vs. New York - December 4th, 2016
- (The New World Order and) Heyd Fontenot at Conduit Gallery, Dallas - November 13th, 2016
- Glasstire and Negative Criticism in Texas - October 26th, 2016
- Expanded Drive By: Matthew Bourbon at Kirk Hopper Fine Art - September 28th, 2016