Tomorrow, the Texas State Legislature will officially appoint two-dimensional and three-dimensional visual artists (along with representatives of poetry and music) to officially represent Texas for the years 2015 and ’16; this is a state initiative much like a country appointing a Poet Laureate.
Don’t worry: you know these artists. Vincent Valdez (2D) of San Antonio and Margo Sawyer (3D) of Elgin are your new state art reps for 2015, and Dornith Doherty (2D) and Dario Robleto (3D) are your reps for 2016. The positions are created by “SB 1043 of the 77th Legislature” and “appointees will be formally announced through House and Senate Resolutions at the Capitol.”
Via the Texas Commission on the Arts:
“The great talents of the 2015-2016 State Artists, along with all of those who were nominated, help contribute to a distinctive cultural identity that makes Texas a great place to live, work and visit,” said State Representative Ryan Guillen, Chairman of the House Committee on Culture, Recreation, & Tourism. “It is important that we celebrate the distinguished career achievements of these artists which have enhanced the lives of so many.”
For more info on how the appointments are made and to see the names of other appointees in the other fields (like Joe Ely), please go here.
also by Christina Rees
- Goodbye to 2016, or, Tripping Over Nostalgia - December 18th, 2016
- Last Week: Los Angeles vs. New York - December 4th, 2016
- (The New World Order and) Heyd Fontenot at Conduit Gallery, Dallas - November 13th, 2016
- Glasstire and Negative Criticism in Texas - October 26th, 2016
- Expanded Drive By: Matthew Bourbon at Kirk Hopper Fine Art - September 28th, 2016