The Big Show, which is Lawndale Art Center‘s annual juried open show, has been around in one iteration or another in Houston since 1984, and is now open for submissions for The Big Show 2015, which will open on July 10.
This year, for a change, the Lawndale is asking for submissions online, rather than having artists physically drop off the work; the deadline is June 3. Go here for info on how to enter, etc; the call is open to artists living within 100 miles of Houston, and the submitted work needs to be (relatively) new and never before exhibited. It cost $30 to enter three works.
This year’s guest juror is George Scheer, a founder and director of the museum/artist residency Elsewhere in North Carolina.
also by Christina Rees
- Goodbye to 2016, or, Tripping Over Nostalgia - December 18th, 2016
- Last Week: Los Angeles vs. New York - December 4th, 2016
- (The New World Order and) Heyd Fontenot at Conduit Gallery, Dallas - November 13th, 2016
- Glasstire and Negative Criticism in Texas - October 26th, 2016
- Expanded Drive By: Matthew Bourbon at Kirk Hopper Fine Art - September 28th, 2016