As reported by Hyperallergic, yesterday the Guggenheim museum on 5th Avenue in New York was effectively shut down by protestors calling for a change in labor conditions at the museum’s Abu Dhabi location (which has yet to begin construction). Protestors included members of Gulf Ultra Luxury Faction (known as G.U.L.F.), the Gorilla Girls, and others. When the group of protestors finally vacated the (mostly empty) Guggenheim at 5:30 pm, it was met with 20 pizzas sent by the public art organization Creative Time.
The Guggenheim released an annoyed statement, citing the potential “dynamic cultural exchange” of its Abu Dhabi outpost.
also by Glasstire
- Top Five: March 23, 2017 - March 23rd, 2017
- Here are your next Emojis! (T-Rex and Breastfeeding included) - March 22nd, 2017
- Something to Watch: Weekly Sculpture Poems from Elaine Bradford & Sara Cress - March 22nd, 2017
- Dallas Arts Month is Now an Official Thing - March 22nd, 2017
- High Plains Print+Music Festival and BP5 This Weekend in Lubbock - March 21st, 2017