As reported by Hyperallergic, yesterday the Guggenheim museum on 5th Avenue in New York was effectively shut down by protestors calling for a change in labor conditions at the museum’s Abu Dhabi location (which has yet to begin construction). Protestors included members of Gulf Ultra Luxury Faction (known as G.U.L.F.), the Gorilla Girls, and others. When the group of protestors finally vacated the (mostly empty) Guggenheim at 5:30 pm, it was met with 20 pizzas sent by the public art organization Creative Time.
The Guggenheim released an annoyed statement, citing the potential “dynamic cultural exchange” of its Abu Dhabi outpost.
also by Glasstire
- Sculpture Month Houston Returns to Houston's Grain Silos - October 16th, 2017
- Art Organizations: the FEMA Deadline is Approaching - October 15th, 2017
- Kusama is Coming to Marfa - October 14th, 2017
- Valton Tyler Documentary Screening in November - October 13th, 2017
- Conceptual Art or Gag Gift? You Decide! - October 12th, 2017