As reported by Hyperallergic, yesterday the Guggenheim museum on 5th Avenue in New York was effectively shut down by protestors calling for a change in labor conditions at the museum’s Abu Dhabi location (which has yet to begin construction). Protestors included members of Gulf Ultra Luxury Faction (known as G.U.L.F.), the Gorilla Girls, and others. When the group of protestors finally vacated the (mostly empty) Guggenheim at 5:30 pm, it was met with 20 pizzas sent by the public art organization Creative Time.
The Guggenheim released an annoyed statement, citing the potential “dynamic cultural exchange” of its Abu Dhabi outpost.
also by Glasstire
- Get a Free Ticket to Make Art at Burning Man! - July 24th, 2017
- Art Dirt 8: Sex Robots, Scaramucci's Mark Twain Tweet, When Artists' Ideas Are Stolen - July 23rd, 2017
- Discovery Green & Houston First Commission work by Dallas Collective - July 23rd, 2017
- Installation Art Gone Wrong: Creepy Realtor Headshot Edition - July 22nd, 2017
- City of Houston Wants Artists for its New Residency - July 21st, 2017