As reported by Hyperallergic, yesterday the Guggenheim museum on 5th Avenue in New York was effectively shut down by protestors calling for a change in labor conditions at the museum’s Abu Dhabi location (which has yet to begin construction). Protestors included members of Gulf Ultra Luxury Faction (known as G.U.L.F.), the Gorilla Girls, and others. When the group of protestors finally vacated the (mostly empty) Guggenheim at 5:30 pm, it was met with 20 pizzas sent by the public art organization Creative Time.
The Guggenheim released an annoyed statement, citing the potential “dynamic cultural exchange” of its Abu Dhabi outpost.
also by Glasstire
- Top Five: May 25, 2017 - May 25th, 2017
- Menil's 2017 Walter Hopps Award Goes to Reem Fadda - May 24th, 2017
- This and That: Menil Drawing Institute / Pompeii - May 23rd, 2017
- Two Large-Scale Ai Weiwei Sculptures Come to Austin this Summer - May 22nd, 2017
- Here's Nasher's Summer Series Line-Up - May 21st, 2017