For the second year, the Menil (via Aurora Picture Show) in Houston will participate in a new-ish international public art event-slash-series: BYOB. It means Bring Your Own Beamer, and here “beamer” means projector. BYOB invites artists and other moving-image fans to use the facade of the Menil as a giant screen for projected images on the evening of May 1 at 8 p.m, viewed from the Menil lawn. Basically it’ll be like an open-mic night for video, slideshows, etc.
Here is a link that provides examples of how this looks and has played out in cities such as Copenhagen, Paris, and Moscow. As of today the call for submissions though Aurora Picture Show is still open. Go here to learn how to register or submit a proposal. The event itself is free and open to the public.
also by Christina Rees
- Richard Serra Prints at the Nasher Sculpture Center - March 22nd, 2017
- The Legend of Montie Ritchie versus the International Art Thieves - March 4th, 2017
- Ross Bleckner at the Dallas Contemporary - February 19th, 2017
- Bruce Conner’s 'CROSSROADS' in 2017 - January 29th, 2017
- Goodbye to 2016, or, Tripping Over Nostalgia - December 18th, 2016