For the second year, the Menil (via Aurora Picture Show) in Houston will participate in a new-ish international public art event-slash-series: BYOB. It means Bring Your Own Beamer, and here “beamer” means projector. BYOB invites artists and other moving-image fans to use the facade of the Menil as a giant screen for projected images on the evening of May 1 at 8 p.m, viewed from the Menil lawn. Basically it’ll be like an open-mic night for video, slideshows, etc.
Here is a link that provides examples of how this looks and has played out in cities such as Copenhagen, Paris, and Moscow. As of today the call for submissions though Aurora Picture Show is still open. Go here to learn how to register or submit a proposal. The event itself is free and open to the public.
also by Christina Rees
- Bruno's Steel House - July 18th, 2017
- The Polaroid Project at the Amon Carter - July 11th, 2017
- Epilogue - June 27th, 2017
- Christina and Angela's Epic Road Trip: Some Highlights - June 20th, 2017
- Doug Aitken at the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth - June 13th, 2017