The Executive Director of the Midtown Arts and Theater Center Houston (the MATCH) has announced that Kirk Markley will join the MATCH as its first Managing Director in late May. Markley is currently the Managing Director of Houston’s Catastrophic Theatre.
E.D. Chuck Still explains the serendipitous hiring process: “This position came to be after Kirk and I had several conversations about the project, conversations that neither of us expected to lead to his working at MATCH. Over time though, his enthusiasm for the MATCH, his belief in the vision, made our working together inevitable.”
The building, at the 3400 block of Main St., seems to be coming along nicely. It will have five performance spaces, including one 350-seat house, and 4,000 square feet of exhibition space. The Match is working on the last little bit of fundraising and, now, it has a staff of two. It seems like it just may make its projected fall opening.
also by Paula Newton
- Texas Curator Snagged by Oklahoma - October 23rd, 2017
- Post-Harvey Update: Rockport’s Birds and Rockport's Art - October 22nd, 2017
- Too Many Performance Art Choices in Austin - October 20th, 2017
- UT’s Ransom Center Has a New Art Curator - October 19th, 2017
- Dancers do Degas - October 18th, 2017