In its 91st competition for the U.S. and Canada, the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation has awarded 173 Fellowships to a diverse group of 175 scholars, artists, and scientists. Appointed on the basis of prior achievement and exceptional promise, the successful candidates were chosen from a group of over 3,100 applicants. Of the 175 fellows, Artforum lists the 55 fellows within the visual and performing arts. (The magazine also lists Mel Chin as being a resident of Burnsville, NC, but we are ignoring that; Mel’s a Texan!)
Chin took over Houston for the first few months of this year with his huge show Mel Chin: Rematch at four major museums. The award-winning filmmaker PJ Raval, named one of Out Magazine’s “Out 100 2010” and Filmmaker Magazine’s “25 New Faces of Independent Film 2006,” helped to organize the OUTsider Film and Arts Festival, which took place in Austin this past February.
Congratulations to both!
also by Paula Newton
- Sedrick Huckaby Receives SMU's Moss/Chumley Award - January 20th, 2017
- UH College of the Arts Will Change Its Name After $20M Gift - January 19th, 2017
- Amy Poehler Buys Film Rights to Houston HS Teacher’s Book - January 18th, 2017
- Texas Medal of Arts Announces 2017 Honorees - January 17th, 2017
- Dessert Before Dinner: Houston Couple Pledges Entire Show to MFAH - January 16th, 2017