Glasstire goes on location in Houston and Dallas with appearances by artists Michelle Rawlings and Patrick Renner, and a cameo by Parsnip. This time, if you just read the list, you’re going to miss something.
1. Michelle Rawlings: Impressionist Paintings
Hello Project, Houston
March 20 – April 18
Opening: March 20, 7–10 pm
An exhibition of new works based, she says, on screen glitches.
2. Jeff Gibbons and Gregory Ruppe
Epitome Institute, San Antonio
March 14 – April 25, 2015
Collaborations between artists Jeff Gibbons and Gregory Ruppe inspired by a laundry list of incongruous themes: the writings of Philip K. Dick, the Kübler-Ross model, ghosting, Henri Bergson’s concept of duration, and a grocery store lobster tank.
3. Patrick Renner: Cabinet of Curiosities
Gallery Jatad, Houston
March 5 – April 25
Artist talk: March 28, 2–3:30 pm
Old and new works by Houston artist Patrick Renner, best known for his Funnel Tunnel, skateboarding vegetables, and other large-scale public projects, all mixed in with memorobilia, African art, and other curios.
4. H. Schenck: Clubhouse
March 14- April 5
Says Schenck: “I built forts out of foam bed liners, cardboard boxes, and chairs. Sometimes my cat would sleep in them with me.” Also on view at 500X: works by Kate Colin, Timothy Harding, Michael Furrh, Sebastian Stoddart, M. Kate Helmes, Katherine Baker, Jessica Fuentes, and Jean-Luc Vila.
5. Jen Rose: Divisible by Eight
Brookhaven College Studio Gallery
March 16 – April 13
A thousand porcelain tentacles sanded, drilled, glazed, fired, and stuck to the walls. Next, they will travel to the almost as weirdly named Alaskan Robotics Gallery in Juneau, Alaska in May.
also by Glasstire
- Theaster Gates Named 2018 Nasher Prize Winner - September 19th, 2017
- Trenton Doyle Hancock's Texas Artist of the Year Exhibition Relocated to Former Rice Gallery - September 19th, 2017
- Google Launches Huge Archive of Latino Art - September 16th, 2017
- This and That: Yes, They're Men - September 16th, 2017
- John Biggers Mural in Houston Damaged by Hurricane Harvey - September 16th, 2017