The Show on the Road is a high-low art gallery housed inside a 1993 Chevy box truck; it was founded by gallerist Karen Light and it will be an exhibitor at SXSW’s Music Gear Expo from March 19-22. The Austin-based pop-up space on wheels will be showing drawings and etchings by Sonic Youth’s co-founder/guitarist Lee Ranaldo and paintings by Art Brut’s multi-talented frontman Eddie Argos.
Light founded a gallery called Garde Rail in Seattle in 1998; it specialized in outsider and folk art. Says Light about her year-old truck gallery (which has made dozens of appearances around Austin since it launched) and its inclusion in SXSW: ““My hope is that by revealing the visually-creative side of some of our favorite musicians, people will develop a deeper sense of connection to art and music… The two work so well together!”
also by Christina Rees
- Tom Sachs at the Nasher Sculpture Center - September 19th, 2017
- Ray Harryhausen's Singular Movie Magic - September 3rd, 2017
- Artists, Self-Sabotage, Integrity, and Selling Out - August 20th, 2017
- Juan Mora: Culture Clash - August 1st, 2017
- Bruno's Steel House - July 18th, 2017