Grace Ndiritu, Dan Schmahl, and Hilary Wilder have been named 2014 – 2015 Artists in Residence at the Galveston Artist Residency.
Ndiritu is a British/Kenyan artist whose performances, writing and videos have been shown all over Europe. Schmahl is a recent BFA graduate of Florida State University, searching for the sublime through photography video, and his own small press, Super Hit Press. Wilder is returning to the Houston area; she was a CORE fellow in 2004, and has since gone on to other resdencies and a teaching job at Virginia Commonwealth University.
GAR also announced Victoria Sambunaris as a “Special Project Artist.” Sambunaris, a photographer who crosses and recrosses the United States on “journeys,” has, most recently, been working along the border in South Texas.
Two of the three new residents are accepting deferred invitations from past years; only one is a new grant. Residencies at the GAR last for 11 months, and include a studio, an apartment, a stipend of $1,000 per month and a bicycle.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015