Yesterday it was documented that some Dallas roadworks contractors had been using the beloved public sculpture at the entrance to Deep Ellum as a dumping ground. Loose bricks, open bags of concrete and other refuse were strewn around and right up to the shiny steel birds that are part of the “Traveling Man” sculpture series by Brad Oldham and Brandon Oldenburg, commissioned by Dallas Area Rapid Transit in 2008. DART has been notified and as of yesterday was working to get the garbage removed.
Roadworks and construction throughout Deep Ellum are heavy and ongoing. The birds, called “Awakening,” are vulnerable to public disruption (and are built to withstand a lot, which is good because they’re close to the road and in a neighborhood known for bars and high traffic), but this construction-crew sloppiness is pretty insulting.
(image via CultureMap Dallas)
also by Christina Rees
- A Short Meditation On Louis C.K. - February 9th, 2016
- One is a Magic Number - February 3rd, 2016
- We're All In This Together, Naked - January 26th, 2016
- Valhalla Rising: The Dallas Contemporary's Redemptive Moment - January 19th, 2016
- Heads Up: Celia Eberle Has a Show Up Right Now - January 15th, 2016