Three times a year, San Antonio’s Artpace invites a guest curator to choose three artists to live and create art in San Antonio for two months. Each residency cycle includes one international, one national, and one Texas-based artist. While unsolicited applications for the International Artist-in-Residence program are not considered, the Texas-based artists are culled from an annual open call for submissions. The guest curators makes selections a year in advance, so artists interested in a residency for the spring, summer, or fall of 2016 need to submit applications by August 27, 2014.
The prestigious and long-running artist-in-residence program has a history of some pretty serious guest curators who are encouraged to work closely with the artists. Texas artists chosen for the 2014 residencies were Anna Krachey (Austin), Jungeun Lee (Frisco), and Jessica Mallios (Austin). The 2013 trio included Ivor Shearer (Houston), Clarissa Tossin (Houston), and J. Parker Valentine (Austin).
also by Paula Newton
- Dallas Artist is Now a TV Star - May 26th, 2017
- N.O.’s Prospect 4 Announces Artists, Including Texans - May 25th, 2017
- Trump’s Proposed Budget to Kill National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities - May 24th, 2017
- Austin Art: People Have the Power - May 23rd, 2017
- Performance Artist Solange Does the Guggenheim - May 22nd, 2017