If you haven’t yet seen The Big Show—Lawndale Art Center’s annual open-call, juried exhibition, you have until August 9th to spend some time with the whopping 115 works by 106 emerging and under-represented Houston area artists. Bill Davenport’s recent review of the show only touched on a dozen artists; so, if you want to find out about more of them, drop by Lawndale tonight and tomorrow night. About half of the exhibiting artists will give very brief presentations at “The Big Slide Show.” There are quite a few new names in this year’s batch and this should be a quick and easy way to check out the up-and-comers. Presentations begin at 6pm.
Wednesday, July 30th artist presentations: Isela Aguirre, Joel Anderson, Celan Bouillet, Peter Broz, Vernon Caldera, Isabel Cuenca, Sandra de la Rosa, Jed Foronda, Keith Hollingsworth, Lulu Lin, Annie Lockhart, Carrie Markello, Kia Neill, Leslie Roades, Caroline Roberts, Penelope Ross, John Slaby, Megan Spacek, Adair Stephens, Todd Stevens, Dwight Theall, Nohelia Vargas.
Thursday, July 31st artist presentations: Mack L. Bishop III, Lindy Chambers, Yvette Chapman, JooYoung Choi, Vincent Fink, Diane Fraser, Eva Graf, J.G. Harkins, Tae Lee, David McClain, Palmer Mena, Adrienne Elyse Meyers, Kristy Peet, Laura Pregeant, Patrick Renner, Mireille Schellhorn, Sandy Tramel, Justin Varner, Amed Verastegui, Christopher Wallace, Dave Wilson, Amy Beth Wright.
also by Paula Newton
- UH College of the Arts Will Change Its Name After $20M Gift - January 19th, 2017
- Amy Poehler Buys Film Rights to Houston HS Teacher’s Book - January 18th, 2017
- Texas Medal of Arts Announces 2017 Honorees - January 17th, 2017
- Dessert Before Dinner: Houston Couple Pledges Entire Show to MFAH - January 16th, 2017
- Mixed Responses to Call for Artist Trump Protests - January 13th, 2017