If you haven’t yet seen The Big Show—Lawndale Art Center’s annual open-call, juried exhibition, you have until August 9th to spend some time with the whopping 115 works by 106 emerging and under-represented Houston area artists. Bill Davenport’s recent review of the show only touched on a dozen artists; so, if you want to find out about more of them, drop by Lawndale tonight and tomorrow night. About half of the exhibiting artists will give very brief presentations at “The Big Slide Show.” There are quite a few new names in this year’s batch and this should be a quick and easy way to check out the up-and-comers. Presentations begin at 6pm.
Wednesday, July 30th artist presentations: Isela Aguirre, Joel Anderson, Celan Bouillet, Peter Broz, Vernon Caldera, Isabel Cuenca, Sandra de la Rosa, Jed Foronda, Keith Hollingsworth, Lulu Lin, Annie Lockhart, Carrie Markello, Kia Neill, Leslie Roades, Caroline Roberts, Penelope Ross, John Slaby, Megan Spacek, Adair Stephens, Todd Stevens, Dwight Theall, Nohelia Vargas.
Thursday, July 31st artist presentations: Mack L. Bishop III, Lindy Chambers, Yvette Chapman, JooYoung Choi, Vincent Fink, Diane Fraser, Eva Graf, J.G. Harkins, Tae Lee, David McClain, Palmer Mena, Adrienne Elyse Meyers, Kristy Peet, Laura Pregeant, Patrick Renner, Mireille Schellhorn, Sandy Tramel, Justin Varner, Amed Verastegui, Christopher Wallace, Dave Wilson, Amy Beth Wright.
also by Paula Newton
- Social Practice Artist Corrina Mehiel Found Stabbed to Death in DC - March 24th, 2017
- Trump’s “Border Wall” Shines Spotlight on EP Women’s Filmmaker Collective - March 23rd, 2017
- Another Artist Town Hall Meeting in Houston: Time to Get Political - March 22nd, 2017
- Trisha Brown (1936-2017) - March 21st, 2017
- Artist Appropriates Trump Slogan for “Painfully Powerful Statement” - March 17th, 2017