Now that Glasstire editor Bill Davenport and publisher Rainey Knudson released this week’s Top 5 countdown on video, it seems everyone wants to jump on the YouTube bandwagon to chat about contemporary art.
This week, Ovation TV launched its first original web series, called Touching the Art. The black-lipsticked artist and comedian Casey Jane Ellison interviews (apparently always female) art-world guests with smart/dumb/glib questions: “What is art? Who cares? Why?” The show seems to straddle the lines between accessible and obscure, sincere and sarcastic. It remains to be seen whether it will actually catch on, but the first episode proves one thing: artist Catherine Opie is pretty smart and funny!
also by Paula Newton
- Houston Art Fair Loses a Word and Gains an Attitude - May 4th, 2016
- Fire at SA’s Casa Chuck! - May 3rd, 2016
- Houston Artist Padaric Kolander Wins 2016 Hunting Art Prize - May 2nd, 2016
- Bayou City Art Festival is Going to be a Soggy One - April 29th, 2016
- Learn to Paint Like the President. Maybe Better. - April 28th, 2016