Happy Bastille Day!
There are still plenty of people who assume that serious artists study in Paris, wear berets, and walk around with their thumbs stuck through those bean-shaped palettes. For artists who secretly harbor any of those romantic notions, today is your day! In honor of the 1789 storming of the Bastille, French folks celebrate the power of the people every year on this day.
Since Dallas has an interesting history of French connections (most notably La Réunion, the short-lived socialist utopian community formed in 1855 by French, Belgian, and Swiss colonists, later incorporated by the City of Dallas, and celebrated by Ugo Rondinone’s entry into last year’s Nasher XChange series of public sculptures), it is holding its fifth annual Bastille on Bishop Festival tonight from 6-10pm, where they take over 3 blocks of the historic Oak Cliff’s Bishop Arts District. It’s a ticketed event, but includes all things French: wine, crepes, mussels, musique, and can-can dancers.
also by Paula Newton
- Memorial Weekend: Oragami, Peace, and Granted Wishes! - May 27th, 2016
- More Projected Art! This Time in Dallas - May 26th, 2016
- New Menil PR Director: Beyoncé - May 25th, 2016
- Austin: The People Speak! - May 24th, 2016
- Aurora/Menil BYOB Rescheduled Date (Maybe) - May 23rd, 2016