The Louis Comfort Tiffany Foundation has announced the latest winners of its biennial award, which comes with an unrestricted check for $20,000. Every two years, artists from throughout the US are nominated and an invited jury whittles them down to a selection of “artists whose work shows promise, but who have not yet received widespread critical acclaim or commercial recognition.”
The list of thirty artists is decidedly less New York-centric than many similar awards and includes former Houstonians Leslie Hewitt and Steffani Jemison (both held dual residencies at the Glassell Core Fellow program and Project Row Houses), San Antonio’s Sarah Sudhoff (director of Photohive and cofounder of Austin Center for Photography) and painter Daniel Rios Rodriguez, and Houston’s artist/curator Mark Ponder. Congratulations to all!
also by Paula Newton
- Dead Dog’s Eyeballs! There’s a New Graphic Bio on Daniel Johnston - July 28th, 2016
- Where is Ana Mendieta? In Dallas! - July 27th, 2016
- Houston Artists! Get Ready for Art Market Season - July 26th, 2016
- Punk Out at the CAMH with the Mydolls - July 25th, 2016
- Waltz Across Texas with Frank Stella - July 22nd, 2016