The Louis Comfort Tiffany Foundation has announced the latest winners of its biennial award, which comes with an unrestricted check for $20,000. Every two years, artists from throughout the US are nominated and an invited jury whittles them down to a selection of “artists whose work shows promise, but who have not yet received widespread critical acclaim or commercial recognition.”
The list of thirty artists is decidedly less New York-centric than many similar awards and includes former Houstonians Leslie Hewitt and Steffani Jemison (both held dual residencies at the Glassell Core Fellow program and Project Row Houses), San Antonio’s Sarah Sudhoff (director of Photohive and cofounder of Austin Center for Photography) and painter Daniel Rios Rodriguez, and Houston’s artist/curator Mark Ponder. Congratulations to all!
also by Paula Newton
- Ann Hamilton Comes to Texas to Calm Us Down - January 23rd, 2017
- Sedrick Huckaby Receives SMU's Moss/Chumley Award - January 20th, 2017
- UH College of the Arts Will Change Its Name After $20M Gift - January 19th, 2017
- Amy Poehler Buys Film Rights to Houston HS Teacher’s Book - January 18th, 2017
- Texas Medal of Arts Announces 2017 Honorees - January 17th, 2017