As reported by the San Antonio Express-News, some of Barrientos’ artworks have been stolen in advance of tonight’s opening. About 10 of his 15 wooden bird cutouts that were attached to grates on the old Solo Serve building had disappeared after they had been up only a few days.
“I guess it’s just ironic, I was trying to create a connection between man and nature and they just proved my point,” Barrientos said. “Humans are constantly disrupting animals and their environment.” Barrientos is making new birds in time for tonight’s opening reception.
also by Glasstire
- RIP Hunting Art Prize - September 27th, 2016
- Pierre Huyghe Wins the Second Annual $100,000 Nasher Prize - September 26th, 2016
- Naked Donald Trump Statue for Sale - September 24th, 2016
- Rienzi Gets a New Director - September 24th, 2016
- Rice Engineer and MFAH Artist Are 2016 MacArthur Geniuses - September 24th, 2016