By popular demand, this week The Contemporary Austin premieres the film The Vision of Paolo Soleri: Prophet in the Desert for the first time in Texas as part of its Rooftop Architecture Film Festival on Wednesday, April 9 and Thursday, April 10. Soleri, a student of Frank Lloyd Wright, was a pioneer in environmentally sustainable architecture, what he called Archology, or “architecture coherent with ecology,” and most known for his beautiful, still-in-progress compound in the Arizona desert called Arcosanti which he began in 1970 with a long-view of the site’s future.
The film is a biographical look at a man whose “vision remains largely unrealized,” focusing on the current global crisis, highlighting how Soleri’s life’s work rings with the pitch of prophesy. Soleri died in April 2013.
also by Lucia Simek
- Public Art is Winning! - May 22nd, 2014
- The Contemporary Austin Names a New Firestorm Fixer - May 21st, 2014
- Giant Camera Wins Giant Prize Purse - May 20th, 2014
- The Met Opens its Digital Vault - May 19th, 2014
- Goss-Michael Foundation's Associate Director Named Juror for ArtPrize - May 19th, 2014