Let’s face it—we all wait for this time of year. Under the mistletoe, Texas artists looking for a little year-end green and buyers looking for unique gifts get together, doing an end-run around the artworld’s high prices. Some galleries collude in these commercial orgies, some look the other way, but it’s all the same: the urge to splurge is as unstoppable as the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy.
Here’s a collection (by no means complete) of some of the many opportunities this season for an extracurricular art fix. Send me yours and I’ll add it to the goodie bag!
Dec 12 Holiday ShaBang! at Gallery Homeland
Dec 12th-January 15th
Opening Reception December 12th 6:30 pm-10:30 pm
A Holiday end-of-the-year celebratory exhibition with works priced under $500 by 50 of Houston’s greatest talents!
Dec. 12-31 Peveto’s Jolly Merry Happy Li’l Holiday Shoppe,
A curated “Pop-Up” store of artist crafts, unique gifts, small artworks and sensational fun!
Dec. 21 East End Arts Market at East End Studio Gallery
Saturday, December 21, 12-5pm
Local artists and crafters galore! Maybe you’ll even see Frida!
Features onesies, hats and coffee mugs, along with a $30,000 Isaac Julien multiple!
Dec. 12 ArtWalk: A Karaoke Christmas
Thursday, December 12, 5-8 pm in downtown Abilene
Wear your ugliest Christmas sweater to this month’s ArtWalk in Abilene, check out the downtown museums and galleries: artist-vendors will be selling their work at booths on the street.
Dec. 14-20 Hinovations Art Gallery Art Extravaganza Sale
Opening Saturday, Dec. 14 from 6:30-9:30 pm
also by Bill Davenport
- $17M Gift Creates New O’Donnell Art History Institute at UT Dallas - July 27th, 2014
- Amon Carter Gets Peale Peaches in Memory of Ruth Carter Stevenson - July 26th, 2014
- South African Beaders to Assemble Selven O'Keef Jarmon's Big Tapestry Project at Rice - July 25th, 2014
- Kid Critics Speak: Soto's Houston Penetrable - July 23rd, 2014
- Tom Tierney, King of Paper Dolls, has Died in Smithville - July 20th, 2014