Some museums hold events during which guests can weigh in on acquisitions for their collections, but these are usually restricted to high-level donors and the events are big fundraisers. Recently, the curatorial department at the El Paso Museum of Art studied its collection in order to identify gaps and decided it needed a work on paper by a contemporary Mexican artist. In late November, the museum put four works under consideration on display and allowed all its members to vote on their favorites. The people’s choice: Lotus Leaves by Gabriel Orozco.
also by Paula Newton
- Solange Knowles + Donald Judd = Love Songs - August 23rd, 2017
- Houston Nonprofits Join the Coalition Against Hate - August 22nd, 2017
- The Solar Eclipse in Art - August 21st, 2017
- Houston Joins the Anti-Confederate Monument Movement - August 18th, 2017
- Artists: It’s Time to Run for Office! - August 17th, 2017