Some museums hold events during which guests can weigh in on acquisitions for their collections, but these are usually restricted to high-level donors and the events are big fundraisers. Recently, the curatorial department at the El Paso Museum of Art studied its collection in order to identify gaps and decided it needed a work on paper by a contemporary Mexican artist. In late November, the museum put four works under consideration on display and allowed all its members to vote on their favorites. The people’s choice: Lotus Leaves by Gabriel Orozco.
also by Paula Newton
- West Texas Landmarks Vandalized! - February 24th, 2017
- Rice U’s Moody Center is Almost Reality! - February 23rd, 2017
- WH Plans to Eliminate NEA and NEH as Examples of “Wastes of Taxpayer Money” - February 22nd, 2017
- S.A. Artist Wins 10K Craft Council Award - February 21st, 2017
- Happy (Not My) President’s Day! - February 20th, 2017