Some museums hold events during which guests can weigh in on acquisitions for their collections, but these are usually restricted to high-level donors and the events are big fundraisers. Recently, the curatorial department at the El Paso Museum of Art studied its collection in order to identify gaps and decided it needed a work on paper by a contemporary Mexican artist. In late November, the museum put four works under consideration on display and allowed all its members to vote on their favorites. The people’s choice: Lotus Leaves by Gabriel Orozco.
also by Paula Newton
- Huge Public Art Project in SATX Down to Four Finalists - August 26th, 2016
- Contemporary Art for Dogs! - August 25th, 2016
- Rauschenberg Foundation Expands SEED Program to Include Houston and Two Groups Win Big! - August 24th, 2016
- Houston Fringe Fest Returns! - August 23rd, 2016
- New Rules! Lawndale Mixes It Up For This Year’s Retablo Show - August 22nd, 2016