Some museums hold events during which guests can weigh in on acquisitions for their collections, but these are usually restricted to high-level donors and the events are big fundraisers. Recently, the curatorial department at the El Paso Museum of Art studied its collection in order to identify gaps and decided it needed a work on paper by a contemporary Mexican artist. In late November, the museum put four works under consideration on display and allowed all its members to vote on their favorites. The people’s choice: Lotus Leaves by Gabriel Orozco.
also by Paula Newton
- Waltz Across Texas with Frank Stella - July 22nd, 2016
- Finally!!! Cat Art Comes to Dallas - July 21st, 2016
- Study Shows That Art Helps You Grow Up - July 19th, 2016
- Land Art, Renewable Energy, and Aesthetics - July 18th, 2016
- Contemporary Austin Announces Gigantic Artist Prize - July 15th, 2016