Some museums hold events during which guests can weigh in on acquisitions for their collections, but these are usually restricted to high-level donors and the events are big fundraisers. Recently, the curatorial department at the El Paso Museum of Art studied its collection in order to identify gaps and decided it needed a work on paper by a contemporary Mexican artist. In late November, the museum put four works under consideration on display and allowed all its members to vote on their favorites. The people’s choice: Lotus Leaves by Gabriel Orozco.
also by Paula Newton
- Happy Birthday, Dada! - February 5th, 2016
- Dallas Art Advocate June Mattingly (1932-2016) - February 4th, 2016
- Artpace Announces a Power Trio of Artists-in-Residence - February 3rd, 2016
- Toby Kamps Appointed Spotlight Curator for Frieze - February 2nd, 2016
- Rienzi’s Founding Director to Retire - February 1st, 2016