Some museums hold events during which guests can weigh in on acquisitions for their collections, but these are usually restricted to high-level donors and the events are big fundraisers. Recently, the curatorial department at the El Paso Museum of Art studied its collection in order to identify gaps and decided it needed a work on paper by a contemporary Mexican artist. In late November, the museum put four works under consideration on display and allowed all its members to vote on their favorites. The people’s choice: Lotus Leaves by Gabriel Orozco.
also by Paula Newton
- Two Texans Make ArtPrize Shortlist! - September 27th, 2016
- Idea Fund Round 9: Deadline, Info, and Jurors - September 26th, 2016
- Artists and Collectors to Show off their Weird Houston Homes - September 23rd, 2016
- It May Be Too Late, but this Group is Set to Save East Austin Art - September 22nd, 2016
- Check out Islamic Art in Houston! - September 20th, 2016