Well, Thanksgiving is over and, if tradition mandates that you run out and go shopping, there are a number of venues that make it possible to support local artists and artisans this weekend.
In San Antonio, the Maker’s Market takes place Saturday from 12-7 pm at Pearl of Pearls home gallery (101 Carson). It will offer goodies from tons of artists, live music, and hot food. Austin’s Palmer Event Center will be hosting the Renegade Craft Fair on Saturday and Sunday, 11 am-6 pm. This fair seems to have a vintage vibe, with music provided by the ever-cool Waterloo Records. Pop Shop Houston is happening on Friday and Saturday (noon-8 pm) at Silver Street Studios. And Houston has Austin beat in the hip music for its fair: in conjunction with Peter Beste and Lance Scott Walker’s official book release of Houston Rap, there will be performances by Macc Grace and L.O.S. from the original Screwed Up Click (DJ Screw’s group) and Fat Tony.
In Galveston, Moody Garden’s Home for the Holidays Gift Market doesn’t look quite as hipsterish but, if you just can’t get off the island, it takes place on Friday from 2-9 pm and Saturday from 10 am-9 pm at Moody Gardens Convention Center.
also by Paula Newton
- Trump’s Proposed Budget to Kill National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities - May 24th, 2017
- Austin Art: People Have the Power - May 23rd, 2017
- Performance Artist Solange Does the Guggenheim - May 22nd, 2017
- Art League Houston Names New Director - May 19th, 2017
- Texas State Artists Selected for 2018 - May 18th, 2017