For 21 years now, Art from the Streets has been holding open studio art sessions for Austin’s homeless community. On Tuesday and Thursday afternoons at St. David’s Trinity Center in downtown Austin, homeless and formerly homeless have a safe space to create artwork (materials provided) and store unfinished work for later completion, with people who can help the artists get works ready for exhibition.
This weekend is the 21st Annual Show and Sale put on by Art from the Streets, which takes place at the Austin Convention Center, Saturday and Sunday, from 12-5 pm. The sale features more than 2,000 works of art created by 70 creative people who range from enthusiastic amateurs to trained artists (yes, it could happen to anyone). Prices start at only $35; proceeds go to the artists.
also by Paula Newton
- Cruz Ortiz Selected as Artist for TX Dem Convention - May 30th, 2016
- Memorial Weekend: Oragami, Peace, and Granted Wishes! - May 27th, 2016
- More Projected Art! This Time in Dallas - May 26th, 2016
- New Menil PR Director: Beyoncé - May 25th, 2016
- Austin: The People Speak! - May 24th, 2016